Latest News

Monday 29 December 2014

I still don’t know why I fell in love withmy wife – Righteousman Erabor


Gospel singer, Righteousman Erabo is one
person who is very sad about the state of
the music industry right now. He is deeply
disturbed that the society prefers secular
music to Christian music. He is miffed
that companies favour secular artistes for
celebrity endorsement of their brands. In
this interview he bares his mind on this
and reveals how he has safeguarded his
marriage and kept it from hitting the
rocks.
Excerpts…
What project are you currently working
on?
I have so many projects at hand. I am cur­
rently the President of Praise Affairs Inter­
national and I aIso preside over a
movement called Tongues of Unity. I am
in partnership with Now Musik. We are
working on Save Nigeria Project. We all
know the situation of things in our
beloved country. People are being
bombed daily and children are slaugh­
tered like chickens. We should not be smil­
ing about it, even if it isn’t raining in this
part of Nigeria, but for the fact that it is
raining in the north and this rain can
change direction any sooner. The song,
No, isn’t just a song. It is a song that
documents the conscience of the nation,
and it is the responsibility of all
entertainers to speak one voice, the voice
of the common man.
So the song ‘No’ featured 60 artistes. You
had people like Tuface, Pasuma, Buchi,
Sound Sultan, Daddy Showkey, Dele
Taiwo, Terry G, African China, Carol Cece,
Keppy Ekpeyong, Osita Iheme, Sunny Neji
and so many others. They all keyed into it
and it is all about saying ‘No’ to
terrorism, corruption, rigging etc. Another
serious project is the media tour of
Awesome, a single from Carol Cece, one
of the artistes of Praise Affairs
International artiste, whose video is
gaining massive airplay in the country
and the Web.
Which of these particular crises really
inspired you to do that?
When those four guys were burnt in Aluu
community, Rivers State, I wept all
through the night. Man-to-man is so
unjust. It was a sad experience that can
never be erased from my heart. I am an
advocate of love, peace and justice but
there can never be peace until there is
justice in the land.
What does it take to be successful as a
gospel artist? Any tips…?
For me, the grace of God is number one
then quality, distinction, integrity and
humility.
How was your growing up?
My growing up was beautiful, both the
positive and negative vibes brought about
the light that is shining today. I knew
what I wanted, my direction and goals as
a little child.
Though, I was the opposite of my name.
Gangsterism was the game, but I never
gave up my purpose in life. I was focused
and the grace of God prevailed. Like in
one of my songs I would have been dead
but HE SAVED ME.
Was there at any time when you thought
about pulling out from the industry?
I have been paying dues and still paying
till date. There was no time I ever thought
of withdrawing from the music industry,
because music has always been my life. If
you want to kill me take music away from
me. I started playing music at a very
young age, mastering the guitar when I
was 14 years old, appearing on NTA
Benin music panorama at age 16. I knew
at that time that I was not game for
white-collar jobs. A lot of water passed
under the bridge; it was like using fire to
refine gold but music made me stronger.
There was never a time I thought of
quitting music for any reason.
When was your turning point in music?
My turning point was when I met pop
icon-turned-pastor, Felix Lebarty, who
signed me on his Liberty Records label.
He is the one God used, who brought the
ladder in 1990 that I am still climbing on
till date.
What were the challenges you
encountered?
Life itself is challenging. David who killed
Goliath didn’t get to the throne
immediately; he still had to pay his dues.
So I see challenges as the ladder of life.
You can’t run through it but walking
carefully and prayerfully. I can’t start
counting my encounters; instead I count
my blessings.
What is the source of your inspiration?
I get my inspiration from God and things I
hear or see around me. My choice of mu­
sic has never been displeasing to God. I
was conscious, inspirational and
motivational, but the choice of brand is
from Bob Marley, Steel Purse and
Fellowman.
What made you to move from secular to
gospel music?
I never for once changed my style of mu­
sic; even I didn’t change my content. I
have always been a preacher. What I
changed was my lifestyle. Change is one
thing that is constant in life. It will
surprise a lot of people to know that when
I recorded the song (Who that man?) I
was not the Righteous Man of today but a
month later things began to change. It is
the present life that is reflecting in my
music today as a gospel artiste. I was like
a banker who counts people’s money in
millions and does not have millions in his
own account.
I know the name Jesus; I sing about Him
but do not have Him in my life. That was
the difference between my secular life and
gospel life, it’s a life transformation not
music per say.
How do you see the future of gospel
music?
Great. Things are changing fast;
platforms are being created, not waiting
for God to bless us with bread but bless
our bread. At least last year I was on
MTN Load in Naija tour as a gospel
artiste, first in the history of Nigeria. So,
expect more great openings. The future is
very pregnant.
As a gospel artiste, do you go to clubs to
have fun?
That depends on what you call club. If you
are talking about nude (strippers) club, I
can’t go there because I don’t have that
calling, and you know people are called
into different ministries. My wife and I
attend events done in clubs and music
premieres and so forth, but if it’s the
other way round, my answer is capital
NO.
What is your philosophy of life?
The only way forward is forward.
What is your advice to those who look up
to you?
My advice to those who look up to me is
to warn them not to look up to me, but
look up to God.
You have been in the industry for ages
now, what has been your most
embarrassing moment?
It is so embarrassing to record a song
with the feeling that it would be the next
big thing. It is passion that keeps us
going.
What naughty thing have you ever done?
I was a very stubborn youth, and I did a
lot of things of which I can’t even
remember.
Many young men find it difficult to find
wives. Now using yours as a case study,
did you go through prayers before finding
your wife?
No, I didn’t pray. I made lots of mistakes
but the only thing God did was to convert
my mistakes to miracles. God doesn’t give
anybody a wife these days because of the
experience with Adam, in the scripture.
God says, ‘He that finds a wife finds a
good thing and obtains favour from God.’
So, it is left for man to go find his own
wife. I went for my friend, I got married to
my best friend and I am enjoying every bit
of it and God is blessing our union on
daily basis.
Who is your mentor?
Jesus Christ is my all in all.
How did you meet your wife?
We met in a recording studio. My backup
singer who happened to be her best friend
brought her to the studio. She is the best
gift from God to me.
Ask and it shall be given but you need to
knock and seek. It is a process that
should be followed squarely. So I followed
mine diligently.
What attracted you to her?
It is a difficult question; it is hard for me
to tell you categorically what made me fall
in love with her. Many people set
standards and parameters and in doing
that, you will love that person only when
that thing is present and when it expires,
you will lose your love.
You might even end up falling in love with
all those who have the same
characteristics. So, I don’t really know
what made me fall in love with her. Maybe
that is why I am still stuck to her.
How do you handle female admirers?
Where do you draw the line?
It takes the grace of God not because one
is super human; it is what your heart
desires that you will always attract to
yourself but God has been faithful.
How have you been able to manage your
marriage and keep it from failing as has
become common among celebrities?
I am a favoured man; everything revolves
around me. I have an understanding fam­
ily that loves what I do, and we also have
friends and people who love what we do
and support us. The most beautiful of all
is that I have my studio in my house; so I
don’t really leave the house except for
events, location and church.
You have been able to sustain your
marriage very well. What advice can you
give to celebrities who are going into
marriage?
I am still counting; keeping relationship is
not about the years involved. We see
people that broke-up after 40 years; some
others are in the marital union, but aren’t
in the marriage: they are just tolerating
each other. How long can you tolerate
someone that you intend to spend the rest
of your life with? Marriage should not be
built on tolerance; I can only tolerate my
friends because they come and go.
My wife and I correct each other rather
tolerate our errors. My advice is that you
shouldn’t learn to tolerate because as a
human, you can only tolerate for a short
period. You don’t manage a life support
machine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Every Amebocity.com User is responsible for anything he or she comments..the comment does not represent the views of Amebocity or any of its crew.

Tags

Recent Post