Latest News

Sunday 8 February 2015

Oshoala living the dream


Living the dream is a cliche often overused in football, but for
20-year-old Nigerian Asisat Oshoala it fits the bill. Within the
space of just five months, she won the adidas Golden Ball and
Golden Boot award at the FIFA U-20 Women’s World Cup, the
Golden Ball at the African Women’s Championship, the African
Women’s Youth Player of the Year and then topped it off with
the African Women’s Footballer of the Year award. And those
are just the individual awards. Add to that, picking up a
runners-up medal from the U-20 World Cup in Canada last
year, a winning medal at the African Championships and
signing a professional contract with Liverpool Ladies FC, and
Oshoala is truly living the dream.
Oshoala is well on the way to taking over from Nigerian
woman’s footballing legend Perpetua Nkwocha, and she told
FIFA.com that the four-time winner of the African Women’s
Footballer of the Year award, who also won the African
Championships four times and participated at three FIFA
Women’s World Cups, is her role model. “She is a very good
person and a very good player and has encouraged me a lot.
She helped my game. I have tried to emulate her style of play,
but it is not only on the field that I have learned from her, it’s
also off the pitch. I look at her character and see that it is
something that young people can aspire to.”
Nkwocha, repays the compliments. “[Oshoala] is a genius. She
is a brilliant team player who is willing to carry the
responsibility of the team on her shoulders. I have not seen
any weaknesses in her game. If there is any advice that I
could give, it is to remain focused.”
Meteoric rise
It seems likely that she will do just that, as success has not
gone to her head. When asked if she would exchange her
Golden Ball award from Canada last year with a winners
medal from the same tournament she laughs. “That is a tough
question,” she says with the honesty that makes her so
likeable. “It is not an easy choice, and I don’t know what I
would do.”
Oshoala started playing football in secondary school. “I was
always into sport and was an athlete at first. I used to run
home from school. I then started playing football with my
friends and classmates. Mainly boys and that is when I
became really interested. I did not think about becoming a pro­
fessional then, though. I also did not have the support of my
parents, who did not want me to play. It was only when they
noticed that I was serious that they started supporting me.”
Oshoala joined FC River Internationals in Lagos, before being
signed by River Angels from Port Harcourt. Just a few weeks
ago, Oshoala signed a contract with Liverpool Ladies. “That
was something special, and I am sure it will give me a lot
more experience. I will have a chance to play in the
Champions League.”
Super Falcons coach Edwin Okon says she can play
anywhere. “I could even use her in defence, she is that good,
but I use her mainly as a striker.” For Oshoala, it makes no
difference where she plays. “I have no favourite position. The
coach often uses me on the wings and I am fine with that. I
just love playing, but it makes no difference where.”
Going back to Canada
It is likely that Oshoala will spearhead the Super Falcons’
attack at the Women’s World Cup in Canada later this year,
where the Africans are hoping to finally arrive on the big
stage. Although they have long been a global player in youth
football – with three semi-final appearances in a row at the
U-20 level, they have not managed to bring that success to a
senior women’s level and have only once, from six
appearances, made it out of the group stage. “We have huge
number of talents at the youth level, but we need to properly
harness them as they graduate to the senior team,” says
Nkwocha. “But with good preparation surely our team will
excel. We have the players and experience to do well in
Canada.”
It is a view that Oshoala shares. “I am confident that this year
we will see Nigeria doing well. We have the players and many
of them have already played together at youth level.”
Whether or not the 20-year-old will team up with the 38-year-
old depends on Okon, who took Nkwocha to Namibia for the
African championships at the end of last year. “Whether she
makes the squad for Canada is up to the coaching staff. We
will look at the players and then take the best squad.”
Nkwocha, who has just signed a contract as player-coach at
Swedish lower league side Clemensnas IF, would like to be in
Canada. “If they call me up I should be grateful to serve my
country.”
It could well be the only opportunity that the two players –
the one an African footballing legend and the other a potential
legend in the making – have the opportunity of parading their
skills together on the global stage.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Every Amebocity.com User is responsible for anything he or she comments..the comment does not represent the views of Amebocity or any of its crew.

Tags

Recent Post