Latest News

Sunday 8 February 2015

I’m not Tinubu’s mole –Agbaje


■ Says he has no godfather
The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) governorship candidate
in Lagos State in the coming election, Mr Jimi Agbaje last
week spoke to a select group of journalists on his programme
for the state and the role of god fathers in his political life.
Excerpts.
Your emergence as the governorship candidate of your party
was enmeshed in controversy. To what effort did Bode George
contribute to your emergence?
If you remember, I ran for the governorship of Lagos State in
2007 on the platform of the DPA. That 2007 campaign
generated significant goodwill and I retained an interest in
running for the office a second time. This time, however, I
decided to use a stronger platform and engaged with all the
leaders of PDP in Lagos State, including Chief Bode George,
Chief Ogunlewe, the state Chairman, Captain Shelle, Rahman
Owokoniran who is now my campaign Director General, Mrs
Aduke Maina, Bode Oyedele, even Senator Obanikoro and
many other leaders of the party. Most, indeed nearly all of the
leaders were amenable to my candidacy and supported me in
the primaries. Chief Bode George, of course, is one of the
leaders and he supported us too, just like most of the other
leaders.
Governor Raji Fashola has taunted you of being too old to
govern the state. What is your reaction to this?
I think most Nigerians and Lagosians have answered the
governor appropriately on that issue. If you look at his party’s
governors in several states, some of whom are seeking re-
election, they are my agemates and some are my seniors.
Their party is in fact presenting a man who is about 15 years
older than me for the presidency of the whole of Nigeria. I am
healthy, virile, agile and certainly very well prepared-mentally,
intellectually, politically, policy and administration-wise and in
any other way for the governorship of Lagos State
You have gone round the 20 local governments holding town
hall meetings in the state, what has been your message and
how has the reception been?
The reception has been fantastic and certainly very
encouraging. We decided to go on the town halls in order to
engage directly with our people first, before commencing our
rallies. The town halls were a very good opportunity to listen
to the people, to feel their pains, to hear their complaints and
suggestions and also to deliver our message of hope, shelter,
trust and a government focused on the needs of the people to
them. The reception has been very good and we think its been
a very worthwhile exercise.
The bad blood generated in your party by your emergence as
the PDP candidate, was such that created so much
apprehension about your chances. Can we know the inside
story of the mending of fences that resulted in the current
unity of purpose in the party?
There is really no bad blood. It is to be expected in a
democratic political system that some people may be unhappy
about the outcome of party electoral processes.
We have certainly put all that behind us now and we are all
united by the imperative of reclaiming the freedom of our
people in Lagos State. Senator Musiliu Obanikoro is fully
behind our campaign and we are all working together, along
with all other leaders of the party.
It has also been said that you are sitting on a tripod of god
fathers, considering the powers believed to have been
responsible for your emergence. What do you make of that?
I have said categorically in an earlier interaction with the
media and I repeat today-I have, absolutely no godfather or
godfathers. When I ran on DPA platform, who was my
godfather? The reason they rejected our candidacy in the
other party is because they knew we were not the kind of
person that would accept to be a puppet or stooge for their
designs.
Acting under the commands and manipulation of a godfather
is contrary to my personal inclinations and they know that. I
proved that in 2007 . I have no godfather. I will work with the
members and leaders of the party and indeed the generality of
the citizens of Lagos to govern Lagos responsibly and in the
interest of our people, and not for the benefit of any godfather.
Lagosians actually know on what side of the divide they
should be worried about godfathers and god sons or
puppeteers and puppets!
You have said that if elected governor, you would retain 37
LCDAs in the state. Don’t you think doing that would
contravene your party’s stance on the matter
It doesn’t. Our position today is that we have moved on on
the issue of 57 LGAs/LCDAs. I certainly would retain the 37
LCDAS. In fact, even our party structure recognises those
LCDAs.
Your proposed reversal of some policy actions of the APC
administration has come under criticisms, from those who
argued that you are not bringing anything new to the table.
Yes, I insist and reconfirm that there are some things that
need to be reversed! I certainly would not collect tolls on the
Lagos-Epe Expressway which is no longer a PPP project as
the state government has already bought out the interest of
the private investors (for N30 billion more than the original
amount even though the road was not completed!). The road
was a pre-existing road, initially built with state resources and
it is unfair to ask people to pay tolls to get to their homes and
communities.
You said recently that PDP remains your last bus stop. What
would you do if the governorship election goes the other way?
I am in this contest to win, and I believe that we will prevail. I
am not countenancing the prospect of not winning.
You have been accused of being a mole for Asiwaju Bola
Tinubu. How true is this?
Of course that is absolutely without basis, and illogical! There
can be no logical basis for any such hypothesis. I am not, and
can never be a mole for anyone, certainly not for Bola Tinubu.
Also, when and why did you fall apart with Tinubu?
I think it is normal in politics for individual perceptions and
interests to diverge. Bola Tinubu is not my enemy, but we are
also not as close as we used to be. But I think that is the
nature of politics.
I think some politicians often get to a point where they want
only subservient people around them. I don’t believe in that
type of politics. I view politics as a sacrifice and service, and I
view it as the most honourable of vocations. I believe politics
should actually be about truth, integrity and service.
APC seems to have outspent you in terms of campaign
funding as the party’s candidate is visible in all parts of the
states through adverts, posters and billboards. Are you
having a funding challenge? And is this not a threat to your
aspiration?
No one expects us to match APC in terms of spending!
They have ruled over Lagos for 16 years and some people
have described this election as somebody’s attempt to have a
fifth term! They have access to all the resources of Lagos
State! Our campaign is resonating in the hearts and minds,
the homes and communities across the state and in spite of
the noise and posters, we believe our campaign is gaining
attention where it matters and I am convinced that we will
prevail.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Every Amebocity.com User is responsible for anything he or she comments..the comment does not represent the views of Amebocity or any of its crew.

Tags

Recent Post