Latest News

Sunday 8 February 2015

Highlife music died with Oliver De Coque –Nwem Bassey,band member


For years, Nwem Sunday Bassey aka Mr. USB was the lead
singer in Oliver De Coque’s band. In this chat with The
Entertainer, the Akwa Ibom indigene recounts his life with the
late legend of highlife music.
Excerpts:
How long have you been into music?
I have been into music for 30 years now.
Can you give us a little background of yourself?
I come from Mbiokporo in Nsit Ibom LGA of Akwa Ibom State.
I was born into a family of seven. Life was not a tea party. I
spent most of my childhood in the state.
How did you come into music?
My dad had a turntable back then and I used it to play songs
of Don Williams, Shalama, Cool & The Gang, Abba, Jim Reeves
and so many others. These artistes inspired me to start
singing. However, as a child, my journey into music began
with a street drummer, Eno Funk. He heard me sing once while
performing among my friends on the streets, and when he got
the chance, he told me that he heard me singing and
mentioned how talented I was. One day, he took me to the
rehearsal of his band, The Citizens. I was asked to sing and
when I did they were all blown away. They all started rejoicing
that they had finally found a good singer. Though, it was my
first time of performing for a group of professionals, I was not
surprised because I knew my ability. That was how I started
playing at hotel shows. Each time I performed, the crowd
never stopped screaming for more. However, the cheers and
glamour never stopped me from improving in my performance.
From The Citizen Band, my fame started to spread like wild
fire. Another popular group soon picked interest in me and the
group leader lured me to the Visitors Funk Band. I became
very popular. I later met a guy called Ime Nsa. He attended
my show and invited me to join his group in Owerri called the
Zebs Band. We performed at Concord Hotel, Mode Hotel and
many parties; it was fun.
How did you join Oliver De Coque’s band?
One day, we had a show in Orlu for a man called Taramazon.
Oliver De Coque performed with Orlu Brothers Band. When it
was my turn to perform, I did a popular song by Yvonne
Chaka Chaka and another one by Michael Jackson. The whole
arena was on fire. Oliver De Coque immediately sent his
manager to come and spray me money, and in the process, he
whispered into my ear that Oliver would want to see me in
Ihiala. I went and today the rest is history. He employed and
made me the cashier of the band. We recorded lots of hit
songs like Egene Asili, Ane Enwe Obodo Enwe , Biri Ka Mbiri,
Father Father, Nebolisa, Ndi Ogiriga and Nwa Bu Nwa to
mention a few. Before he died, I rose to the position of his
lead singer. I did over 45 albums with him. After his death I
began my own band.
What are the things you learnt from the legend?
Everything! His attitude on stage, the way he composed his
songs, the way he wrote music and so many other things. He
taught us to be punctual at any occasion we were invited to.
How was your relationship with him?
Our relationship was very cordial. He loved me so much
because I used to be the high pitch singer of the band. I did
all the choruses you hear in his music. He really valued me
because I was dedicated and humble and served him well to
the very end.
What are you doing to preserve his legacy?
After he died, his first son who is based in Spain, Sunny Oliver
De Coque always attends my shows. Most times, he would
come down to Nigeria and we would perform Oliver’s songs
together. In general, I still have good relationship with his
family.
What are the things you miss most about Oliver De Coque?
A lot of things, I miss his jokes. He was a jovial man.
Sometimes he would take me to my hometown to greet my
parents. We all miss the man. I don’t want to start shedding
tears; can you please change the topic?
They say musicians are womanisers, was that true for Oliver?
Oliver De Coque was not a womaniser, I can boldly tell you
that. He never had time for women because he was always
composing songs. Most times when he wanted to compose,
he would call Ebere Amafula and I. We would sit with him to
compose and most of the songs made waves. I am going to
build on those standards.
Are you saying Nigeria should expect another Oliver De Coque
from Akwa Ibom?
Well, not Oliver De Coque but the real Mr. USB, because I
have my own thing to show to the people coming from that
background. I have to be at my best and that is why I am
taking my time.
After the demise of Oliver De Coque, would you say live
music is progressing for you?
Live band and Igbo highlife music perished with Oliver De
Coque. Live music has no value not to talk of sponsorship.
The genre is dying. I am working on my own album, which
would be released very soon. I have recorded 15 tracks so far
and I am coming out very soon with my video, so watch out!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Every Amebocity.com User is responsible for anything he or she comments..the comment does not represent the views of Amebocity or any of its crew.

Tags

Recent Post