Latest News

Wednesday 14 January 2015

Soon, only billionaires will vie for Nigeria’s presidency —OluFalae


Samuel Oluyemisi Falae, CFR, fondly called Olu Falae, in every
consideration is ably qualified to be described as outstanding
politician. Apart from working with former military president,
General Ibrahim Babangida, as Secretary to the Federal
Government, his active political participation even as a
presidential candidate stood him head and shoulder above his
pals.
When Abuja Metro spoke with him recently, he bared his mind
on a wide range of issues, especially his fears for next
month’s elections and the factors that may shape them,
lamenting that should we continue the way we are going, only
billionaires and the super-rich would contest for the
presidential position in future.
INEC, stakeholders’ readiness
I think we are working at it but unless you are involved you
cannot appreciate what is involved. Various parties have
candidates for various offices, a man or woman may be willing
to contest the election but consultations are very necessary.
The candidate must consult with the supporters, the family,
the party and other interests.
INEC does not just press button and a candidate will come
out. It is a human and major thing for most people because it
requires wide range of consultations to carry families along. I
suppose this are some of the reasons for the delay and
uncertainties we must experience.
There are people who belong to certain parties who, thinking
that they will not win in that party, try a romance with another
party as a means of hedging their options. As far as my own
party is concerned, we are coping.
On the utterances of the politicians, I expect all kinds of
statements from them because politics is made of millions of
persons with different backgrounds, education, world view. It
is natural and they are not different from the rest of Nigerians.
They are subset of the Nigeria universal set. However, one
would expect that anybody aspiring for position of authority
ought to control the way he expresses his views. They should
bear in mind that whatever you say is important to many
people and influences them too. There should be constraint
and restraint in the utterances of the politicians
SDP’s no presidential candidate
I said that I was not going to contest because of my age but
the other factor of supporting a more vibrant candidate could
be implied from what I said. That I am not running does not
mean that I am not vibrant. Mentally and physically I am as
astute, cognitive and vibrant as I was 20 years ago.
I recall saying that if anybody wants to contest in my party,
we will nominate him. But, the reality on ground is that
nobody actually indicated interest in running. The truth is that
the position of presidency is intimidating.
To run for that position, I don’t know how many billions of
naira I needed and how many people can muster even one
billion naira to run for president. Among those who can
muster it, how many of them are ready to risk or gamble it.
These are some of the constraints. It is not that people are
not interested but they don’t know how to go about it. The
truth is that the conditions and position are intimidating. If we
continue like this, very soon, only the super-rich will dare to
run for the office of president
Election challenges
Let us not begin to dissipate energy on what will or will not
happen, but I would want to think that INEC has learnt its
lessons from its past efforts and mistakes. I am very sure it is
going to improve on what it did in the past.
However, let me say that the concern I have is the palpable
desperation of the politicians in the air. For some, it is as if
the world will come to an end if they don’t win this election.
This is what frightens and worries me. I was not this
desperate when I ran for president.
Yes, I wanted to win and I thought I will do some things if I
win, but honestly there was no desperation like this. Even
after the election was rigged, I addressed a joint forum of AD,
APP in Abuja and they were rearing to go to turn the country
upside down but I told them that I had come to politics to
help improve the state of the nation not to worsen it.
I discouraged them from doing anything untoward that will
lead to loss of lives and property because it will be complete
denial of my purpose in politics. I told them that I will have no
part in anything outside the law.
Yes, I lost a lot of support because of that decision but I did
exactly what my conscience told me to do. I have no regret
over what I did since then. I don’t understand why people
should be desperate if their purpose is to serve.
There should be some relief after that initial disappointment.
You will even thank God that this burden is over. Sometimes it
becomes a relief somebody has taken from you especially as
you will work 22 hours daily. You will be in a position
responsible for every major problem in the country.
When I was in government, if there was a disaster anywhere in
the country that would be the end of my day because I would
rush to the president to know what we will do about it and
before we finish another one will happen. So, you should thank
God quietly in your heart for sparing you that kind of burden if
really serving is your objective.
Possibility of endorsing a presidential candidate
SDP is a very democratic party and that is why we are
different from others. I cannot commit the party without due
consultation. When the process comes to an end, we will call
a meeting of the organs of the party to discuss the matter and
decide what to do.
When we were in DPA, we held a meeting, weighed the options
on whether we want to participate or not. At the end of the
day, we endorsed a candidate and invite him to our convention
to address us.
Retiring from politics
There should be no retirement for those that are not appointed
into office. If there is no appointment, there will also be no
retirement date. It is only when you have an appointment
letter that you think of retirement.
The natural process is to retire only the day you die. A
German Chancellor was in office until 84 years, Winston
Churchill continued until he was 82 years, Obafemi Awolowo
lasted until he was 79 it was same for Ajasin who continued
till he was 89 years.
There are three professions you don’t retire from. One of them
is politics because it is people’s business. As long as you
remain articulate, think and talk you will remain relevant and
participate just that the rule will vary overtime.
I was running around to become president but today even as I
am not doing so, I am playing a role in politics. I can easily
play some advisory roles to the younger people, meaning that
I am still in politics.
Secondly, as a farmer, you will never retire from the farm and
as long as you can stagger to the farm to see what the boys
are doing, you are a farmer. My father did that until he died in
1986.
Another profession from which you don’t need to retire is the
traditional ruler role.
The Yoruba will say that, it is only death that deposes the
king. By the way, I am involved in the three. That is why I am
likely to die of overwork not idleness.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Every Amebocity.com User is responsible for anything he or she comments..the comment does not represent the views of Amebocity or any of its crew.

Tags

Recent Post