Latest News

Saturday 24 January 2015

I’m better than Keshi’s Boys – Martins


Ex-Inter Milan striker, Obafemi Martins, has revealed the
challenges he went through in his career when he was
growing up as a future star and the problems he had with
Coach Stephen Keshi.
He spoke to our reporter in Lagos recently while on Chris­
timas holiday.
Can you recall your best moment as a footballer?
The best moments of my career were the days I received
medals. I am a medal freak and I have won a lot of medals
with clubs and the national team. I can recall those days I
won bronze in the National team at 2006 AFCON and 2010
AFCON.
Tell us about your most memorable goal.
I have scored a lot of memorable goals and I can’t remember
all. But I can recall my goal against Arsenal back then in the
2004/2005 UEFA Champions League season. I can also recall
the goal I scored against Arsenal; that was back then in the
Capital One Cup final at Birmingham City and a couple of
other goals I scored against Arsenal.
What has been the greatest challenge of your career?
I have come across a lot of challenges, especially, when I was
at Inter Milan of Italy. I left the club due to frustration. You
know, when everybody is against you, you’re bound to play
under frustration. Brazilian forward, Andriano, and host of
other stars rebelled against me, and I believe he later faced
the repercussion of being a betrayer. If I had stayed longer at
Inter Milan, I would have been crowned African Footballer of
the Year, but God knows best, and I believe it’s not too late
for me to be named the African Footballer of the Year in the
nearest future.
How about the most painful moment in your football career?
The most painful moment of my career was when the Super
Eagles of Nigeria failed to qualifier for the 2006 World Cup in
Germany at the expense of an underrated team like Angola. It
was a painful day and I wept bitterly. Then I was just 20 and
my dream was to play in that competition.
Super Eagles are absent at this year’s AFCON, what’s your
take on that?
Well, it is painful but what can we do. The players did their
best despite the fact that we are the defending champions. My
perception on that exit was that the Nigeria Football
Federation played a major role Nigeria’s failure to qualify for
the Africa Cup of Nations. I think we lacked stability in the
Glasshouse and all of that led to our misfortune.
Do you think Keshi is the right man to coach the Super
Eagles?
To me, Coach Stephen Keshi shouldn’t have been given a
chance at all. He dislikes me. Why should you extend the
contract of a man who hardly won a match in recent time? He
dropped me from his world Cup list for no reason because I
believe I’m better than his boys. Well, that is in the past. All
we need to do is to stay focused and let’s see where he takes
the Eagles to.
Did that decision fast-track your retirement from interna­
tional football?
Yes, it’s part of it. I decided to quit the Super Eagles due to
the present relationship between me and Coach Stephen Keshi.
I can’t respect a man who hated me for no reason and I may
come back if Nigeria gets a better coach that can show more
love and respect to the fans and the media.
Which country do you tip for the AFCON glory in Equatorial
Guinea?
We all know there are no minors in football. If not, I would
have tipped Ivory Coast or Algeria but let’s wait and see how
it goes.
What should your fans be excepting from you in the US Major
League?
My fans should be looking forward to more goals and
wonderful performance not only in the League but also at
home whenever I get the chance to play in any charity game
in my home town Lagos, like the one I just did with Governor
Raji Fashola, Jonathan Akpoborie and the host of other ex-
footballers.
At what age do you hope to call it a day in your football
career?
I am a striker and I’m prone to injury more than any other
player on the pitch. Injury kills players’ career a lot, but if I
don’t come across any injury, I can still be active in the next
four years before I hang up my boots totally.
Any advice for the NFF?
The only advice I have for them is for them to focus on the
Super Falcons who will be participating in this year’s FIFA
Women’s World Cup. If they can give the girls the same
financial support given to the male team that failed us, I think
they can clinch the trophy giving the present form they are.
They have got a lot of upcoming stars like Asisat Oshola,
Oparanozie and the host of others; I believe they can do it.
What’s your target after hanging up your boot?
I have a lot of things on my mind. I wish to be a philan­
thropist because no one knows tomorrow; and, secondly, I
may engage in grassroots politics to develop my community.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Every Amebocity.com User is responsible for anything he or she comments..the comment does not represent the views of Amebocity or any of its crew.

Tags

Recent Post