Latest News

Saturday 24 January 2015

I, carry cocaine? Never! –Hassan Taiwo (Ogogo)


Popular Yoruba actor and movie producer, Babatunde Al-
Hassan Taiwo aka Ogogo, has definitely carved a niche for
himself in the world’s second largest movie making tradition,
Nollywood. Born in Ilaro, Ogun State, in 1959, Ogogo started
acting in the early 80′s. However, he began his full acting
career in 1991 working with the group of late Muyideen
Aromire.
Earlier, Ogogo’s passion for technical knowledge drove him to
Government Technical College, Yaba, Lagos, where he
obtained a Grade One Certificate as an Automobile Mechanic.
In this chat with Tosin Akinola, the thespian opens up on his
controversial illness and cleared the air on rumors that he was
a drug pusher. He also spoke on his soon to be released
musical album among other issues
How did you come into acting?
I have always had a strong passion for acting since my
childhood days. I always looked up to the late Pa Ogunde, Ade
Love and a lot of those popular actors those days. Anytime
they were performing I did all I could to watch them and that
strengthened my love for acting. Back then they always had
shows at Rona Hall in Osun State, which was very close to
our house. When I grew up we started watching TV and I saw
them again on TV and I was determined that I was going to
do something about acting and here I am today, glory be to
Allah.
Which movie brought you to the limelight?
It was The Wicked Boy because it was my first home video
and it was produced and released in 1993.
How many movies have you produced personally?
To God be the glory. I have produced so many movies that I
cannot recall all of them now. I have about 25 films to my
credit under the umbrella of my company, Ogogo Film
Company. Some of the movies are Oore Ojiji, Kadara, Irole
Aye, Idajo Olorun, Kabiyesi Olodumare, Eni Ibi, Ota Olorun and
Orogun Oko among many others.
A while ago you were very sick and it was very serious. Some
people actually spread the rumour that it was ingested
cocaine that burst in your stomach. What actually happen?
Hmmm… my sister, it is good to always do good in life. I have
never carried cocaine in my life; I have never been a drug
pusher.
I don’t want to say much about my sickness because it was
my sad time, my darkest moments. The illness hit me
suddenly! I was on location shooting during Ramadan period
and I was fasting but suddenly, when it was 12noon, my body
system went berserk! I was just confused and feeling very
bad. I couldn’t talk or move any part of my body. One of the
cast now told me that, ‘Alhaji, is it not ulcer that is affecting
you? It has happened to me before.’ She asked me to take
milk with water which I did. Within five minutes, my body
calmed down and I felt relief. Immediately I left location and
ran to the hospital. When I got there it was something else.
The Doctor told me it was chronic ulcer and the rest is history
today. However, I don’t like to go back to that story, it is my
saddest moment. Glory be to God I survived it and here I am
today on my feet.
Tell us about your album Ogogo Oba Esa?
The reason why I am going into music is because I want to
show my fans and my loved ones that I can sing and that I
have a sonorous voice; chanting is my family heritage. That is
the reason I sat down to put Ogogo Oba Esa together for my
fans and loved ones. It would be launched on January 25 at
10 Degrees Event Centre, Oregun, Lagos.
Thirty-three years after, why don’t you want to celebrate your
years on stage like others are doing?
Celebration of years on stage is a good thing for an icon that
has aged in the industry. I am still young and I am still going
to spend a lot of time on planet earth; I am talking about 50
more years in the industry. I am not saying that those people
that are doing it are doing something wrong, no. But for me,
the time is not yet right for me to celebrate.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Every Amebocity.com User is responsible for anything he or she comments..the comment does not represent the views of Amebocity or any of its crew.

Tags

Recent Post