Latest News

Sunday 25 January 2015

How I handle female fans–Joseph Benjamin


Actor, singer and Project Fame presenter, Joseph Benjamin is
one of the most sought after faces in Nollywood. Thanks to
hard work and a determination to succeed against the odds. In
this chat with The Entertainer, the thespian opens up on
career, female fans and what movie buffs should expect from
him in 2015.
Excerpt:
Tell us about yourself and what you are currently working on?
I have been doing what I know how to do best which is
acting; I have been working and filming on set. I just got off a
set today but I can’t disclose any information about it yet
because it is something big and it will hit TV screens pretty
soon. And you guys should watch out because it is going to
be worth the wait.
You are one of the most sought after faces in Nollywood,
what is the secret of your success?
It is all about putting my best foot forward always. Like I tell
people, if you go into the supermarket to get an item and at
the end of the day you are satisfied, the cinch is high you will
come back for more of that item. So, it is pretty much about
what I bring to every job I sign up for. And directors of course
want to work with me because of what I bring to the table. I
am always determined to put in my best. I always look
forward to giving my all in everything I do.
What makes a good actor?
It is your ability to imbibe each character or the personality
you are interpreting, it is your ability to take that character
and bring it to life; animate it. That is pretty much what
makes a good actor.
Aside from what we see on screen, who is the real Joseph
Benjamin?
I am your regular guy from Kogi State who loves what he
does with a passion. I love being me and being original; that
pretty much is who I am?
What is the craziest thing a fan has ever done to you?
A fan actually kissed me. You know, it was quite shocking! As
a matter of fact, I didn’t expect it!
Which movie has been the most challenging for you?
Hmmm…my most challenging movie? Every movie, every
project I undertake, every role I play comes with its own
unique challenges so I can’t point at any one and say ‘here is
my most challenging movie.’ And this is because each movie
helps bring out something fresh and new from within me.
However, I would say the most challenging in recent times
was the one I did a month ago but I am keeping my fingers
crossed; I am hoping I did my best because it was quite
challenging.
Do you watch your movies? Do you sometimes feel there is a
particular scene you could have done better?
I always critic myself irrespective of how well people might
say I did. For me, growth and change are constant so if you
are not passionate or driven to grow, then you will be
stagnant. You are only as good as your last job; that is my
take. I critic myself always and want to do better most times
after I watch my movies.
How best would you advice an up-and-coming actor?
Be as real and as natural as possible and just let it flow and
let it come from deep within you effortlessly. That is when
they will see that what is oozing out of you is natural.
Have you ever turned down a script?
Of course; I am quite selective when it comes to scripts. I
always look at the prospects of what each story will add to
my personality and I usually want every role I play to create a
different image in the minds of people. Consequently I always
look out for certain elements in scripts. I always tell people
that beyond everything, we should look at acting as a medium
for educating the entire society. I am always looking forward
to that in every script that comes my way. There should be
something the viewer will take away after watching me. Most
times I prefer scripts that dwell on social issues.
What is your New Year resolution, your expectations and
plans?
I am hoping to be better at what I do. I want to give my all; I
just want to push myself harder so I can achieve greater
results in the New Year.
How do you handle female fans that want to get down with
you?
I am always calm and patient. I pretty much open my arms
and embrace everyone because these are the people that
make you who you are.
Were you born with a silver spoon?
I was born with a silver spoon but I lost it along the way. I
have seen the highs and lows of life but thank God I am
standing here today because all that I went through has
helped form the very fabric of the man I am today. So every
life experience should be a lesson for you.
What has been your most difficult moments in life?
My most difficult moments must probably be those days when
I was still hustling as a young man and when I lost my step
father. When I got thrown into the world to find a footing as a
man was another difficult moment but it helped me to stand.
Is marriage very far or very near for you?
No comment on that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Every Amebocity.com User is responsible for anything he or she comments..the comment does not represent the views of Amebocity or any of its crew.

Tags

Recent Post