Latest News

Wednesday 5 November 2014

Nigerian man banned from work in the UKafter visiting Nigeria


Sam Ogunnoiki, who works as a security guard
at Stout Security Ltd headquartered in
Cornwall, UK, has been told not to go to work
over fears he may have Ebola after visiting
Nigeria.
The 46 year old British citizen, faces a three-
week quarantine from his employers who told
him that he needs to get the all-clear from a
British doctor before he can go back to work.
Below is the letter (in full) his direct boss sent
to him
"I have spoken to you and expressed my very
deep concerns about your trip to Nigeria.
Several members of staff have now voiced
their concerns about the possibility of your
carrying the Ebola virus back with you and
have made it very clear that they are
extremely reluctant to work with you on your
return." Continue...
One member of staff has even written a clear
and concise letter stating the concerns of
your work colleagues. In this case I have to
support their concerns especially as I have
already voiced them personally to you. In
order to allay any fears that you are a carrier
for this deadly virus I feel I cannot allow you
to return to work until you have been back in
the United Kingdom for three weeks, which is
the incubation period. I must also request
that you visit your doctor on your return and
get a clean bill of health before you can start
work with us. I am very sorry about this Sam
but everyone works in close proximity
together and I have to put the concerns of
the majority first.’
Sam, who said he's on a zero-hours contract
now worries about not being paid. He said:
‘Nigeria does not have Ebola but he said I
have to be cleared. There is this stigma
surrounding me now – it’s just ignorance
and a nightmare because I cannot work. I’m
a British citizen. There is no justification for
this at all.’
The boss who sent the letter, Mr Mannell, later
defended his position saying:
‘I did send Sam a letter saying anyone
returning from any African countries for
safety reasons cannot work for three weeks
afterwards. I know Nigeria is Ebola-free but I
don’t know where he’s travelled. My problem
is that Pendennis [shipyard], which I have a
contract with, sent me an email saying they
cannot have anyone working there that’s
been in contact with Sam."
Source: Metro UK

No comments:

Post a Comment

Every Amebocity.com User is responsible for anything he or she comments..the comment does not represent the views of Amebocity or any of its crew.

Tags

Recent Post